Mar 20, 2007

Things I doubt/disbelieve

# I live in remote corner of Cambodia and yet now have internet at home. Am I really re-connected to virtual world on daily basis? A world of daily news, bad blogs, uni research, recipes such as pumpkin scones and trivia like what does/did the dodo look like?

# Did a quiet politician get sacked for a 20 min convo but are ministers in charge of United Nation’s biggest corruption fraud (Aust wheat) still in office?

# Will I ever find a way to describe how good Ratanakiri cashews are; which is the current cash crop bringing both positive and negative change to indigenous people?

# is there a cultural appropriate way to use locally woven fabric into outfits for myself?

# Can it be I’ve forgotten the awfulness of Australian drought? Here its only 2 months until wet season – its taken for granted rains will come after 6 month absence. I write this as there is thunder lightening and a hint of rain – only 8 more weeks until smell that smell. Australia’s heartbreak of drought not forgotten, not really


#10 mins later, as writing this, big rain drops falling. Smells so peculiar – lifts the dust and dust in my nose but also smells good and coolish

to think all of wet season just around the corner

Written Saturday 17th March

Note:

Proving me wrong twice over!!


My phone bought with the GPRS feature that makes internet possible at home has died so I am back to limited internet connection in short periods at work

and

It rained so much last night that roads are slippery and muddy and it is hard to believe that we will go back to dry season dust. But colleagues are all guessing this unseasonal rain will be over soon and that we get the dusty red of dry season

Written Tuesday 20th March (Katrina-Jae’s birthday)